TerraTalk

New

Posted on: 5/1/2017

by: WindpumpBoy

May Challenge 2017

Having failed to complete the April bit of the challenge, hopefully I will do a bit better this month. As well as sharing Terracaching DNA, Gackt and I also share a love of hedgehogs so in honour of that May's challenge will be nature based. Find or Hide (or a combination) two caches that are nature based. Could be a traditional set at a nature reserve or similar place e.g. Look Out for Wildlife at Ranworth Broad or a  nature based locationless e.g. A is For Apple or a cyber e.g. Google Street View - wildlife. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. smile

The little bit extra this month is to post a photo you have taken during May 2017 of a live wild animal (mammal. reptile or amphibian). GPS not required.

Comments [6]

• Hatamalex  Cheltenham 5/21/2017 

A bit ahead of the game this month.

I've "hidden"a Locationless cache  - LC2PDP - They Carved Their Name With Pride, which is all about trees.

I've found a Locationless cache  - LC4ES0 - Let's have MOOooo Fun! which is all about cows.

I hope they will both be accepted as nature related.

My animal picture is of two lovely Alpacas who live near me.

Attachments

IMG_4419.JPG
    10 Points  1   
  • JASTA 11  Bridgewater 5/25/2017 

We have a few wildlife photos so far this month:

A toad along the trail,                   A mole foraging in my yard,

and a barn swallow chick in a nest under an old railroad bridge.

We'll post the caches soon wink

Attachments

IMG_1682.JPG
    20170503_162320.jpg
    IMG_1702.JPG
    10 Points  1   
  • Gackt  Cirencester 5/29/2017 

Hidden a traditional cache - TC69MJ - Batsies & Birdies (still needs approval)

Found an LC - LC7N2 - Cure for old age and loneliness ..have found a couple more qualifiers too.

Didn't read the 'little bit of extra' properly and went out photographing insects a few days back. One of the photos is on my new trad cache page. Not sure if the local hedgehogs would show up in the next couple of days and with time running out, today I photographed a waking fruit bat. It's a bit cheaty though as, although it's a wild animal (mammal) this one is not native to the UK and was in captivity. See attachment.

Attachments

Fruit Bat.jpg
    10 Points  1   
  • WindpumpBoy  Caister-on-Sea 5/30/2017 

I managed to meet the requirements this month. Found 2 locationless caches LCI2 Fill a Cavity and LC7NZ Photo Challenge 5 - Furry or Feathered Babies

I saw a variety of wildlife and even managed a few photos of some- alas not the hedgehog in the garden last night, who scurried for cover the moment we turned the outside light on. 

A large toad, the size of my clenched fist, who was lurking in our logpile:

A distant view of red deer in a field near us taken from the car as we were driving past:

A deer grazing on the footpath about 30 feet ahead of me. Shame the phone only has a low powered zoom:

A sickly bat clinging to the wall of my mother-in-laws cottage:

Attachments

SAM_3513 (1024x768).jpg
    20170518_162757 (768x1024).jpg
    20170525_200205 (768x1024).jpg
    20170527_122138 (768x1024).jpg
    10 Points  1   
  • jonnybgoode9  Weymouth 5/30/2017 

I almost couldn't find any wild critters to take photo's of. Then in the last few day success!

Canada Geese who were determined to hog the road. When I finally did get to pass them, they Hissed their disapproval!

One of my favorite things at the Daniel Webster Wildlife Sanctuary is the Purple Martin nests. Here you can see Purple Martins fling home. 

The last picture provides a segue to the Challenge hide/find requirements!

I Hid the following cache: Daniel Webster Wildlife Sanctuary

I found the following cache: Eel River Preserve

10 Points  1   
  • Bon Echo  Hamilton 5/31/2017 

just barely...I still have 90 minutes left until May is over in my time zone....

Here are my submissions for this natural challenge

Found LCCW Faces In Nature http://play.terracaching.com/Cache/LCCW

And found LC7TS Weed or Wildflower?   http://play.terracaching.com/Cache/LC7TS

I probably have a few more that are nature related, need to get caught up on logging from my trip to Allegany State Park in New York state a few weeks back.

And here's my wild animal...a squirrel (yawn). They built a nest in the tree in my front yard and apparently have some young. We saw fox and deer and groundhogs in ASP, but all I got for photos is the one squirrel.

Attachments

IMG_1173.JPG
    10 Points  1   

SIMILAR TERRATALKS