Issue Report

New

Posted on: 1/1/2020

by: skramble

cache logs

Can't seem to post any kind of cache log right now...? Is this the 2020 bug? Hm... does appear so. Just tried to post a note on an older cache, and can't with today's date, but can with December 31 2019.

Comments [7]

• JASTA 11  Bridgewater 1/1/2020 

Same here, using an android phone.

Hit 'submit' and nothing happens. No rejection window appears. It doesn't seem to even attempt to process. 

20 Points  2   
  • Gackt  Cirencester 1/1/2020 

Same. Only cache tried logging is the latest puzzle cache CC1ZXB. Tried a few before and after dates, but log not submitted and no error messages given.

20 Points  2   
  • Lone R  Puslinch 1/1/2020 

Thanks skramble for PMing me to let me know about the logging problem that is affecting  CC1ZXB.

20 Points  2   
  • cash108  Durango 1/2/2020 

Yes DufusDog sent us a message yesterday evening using [email protected] .   This bug is impacting all caches and attempts to log them.  Really Sorry about this.

It is a perfect storm of timing, our programmers are on vacation until the 8th and the bug is 2020. We are attempting to get them back before that.   I thought Y2K was scary but this 2020 stuff is not helping me see things more clearly.

Turning a negative into a positive Ag08 has an idea for a Community Challenge. As skramble pointed out you can log the finds using 12/31/19 until we get this fixed..  Stay tuned...

10 Points  1   
  • ag08  Durango 1/2/2020 

Well, Happy New Year 2020 guys! I apologize for this bug, I know how inconvenient this is. We have already placed a request in with our developers to get this addressed, but this is a vacation time for them. We are hopeful they will come in and get this issue fixed as soon as they can.

In the meantime, we decided to make lemonade from these lemons and do something fun that we haven’t done in awhile. And that is a site wide challenge! Since the last date that we can log caches as of this moment is 12/31/2019, we are going to take a little bit of extra time to say goodbye to 2019.

Here is how the challenge will work, let’s call it the...

Shine a Light on 2020 Challenge:

Continue logging caches using the date of 12/31/2019. To confirm our list (we will be tracking finds), email me ([email protected]) with your name, address, cache name/id that you found. I will mail you a collection of stickers from the store to put in traditional caches in the future.

This will not work for caches posted on or after 1/1/2020- we will have to wait to log those until the bug is fixed. Whoever logs these caches after the bug is fixed will also be able to participate in the challenge. After the bug is fixed, we will give members 2 days to log those caches to participate in the challenge.

In addition, we will be doing a drawing for a grand prize! The grand prize will be a headlamp and 50 pathtags with the design of your choice. I will post additional details on these prizes in the coming days.

One thing that I love and appreciate about our community is how tight knit it is. I feel like cash108, smithwitch123, and I have gotten to know many of you personally. We are the little guys in the caching world, but we value you guys. Once the date bug is addressed (we will let you guys know when it is fixed and the challenge is complete), you can update your logs to reflect the actual date you found it if you would like. If you have any issues with that, you can contact me ([email protected]) and I will update those dates for you.

Thanks for your patience and I hope that you will participate in this challenge with us! I personally found a really cool cyber cache recently that I will be posting myself. cool

30 Points  3   
  • Bon Echo  Hamilton 1/4/2020 

Maybe related, maybe not. I noticed some issues logging caches today but with log dates in 2019 (trying to get caught up on logging some LCs). When I set the date to some date in 2019 there would be a red box around the date and the log could not be posted, but if I set the date a second time then the red box goes away and the log can be posted as normal. So I had an idea I wanted to try and posted a find to a LC cache that I did not find. I used a 2019 date, and the log was accepted after setting the date a second time. Only one problem - now I cannot delete the log, nor can I change it from a Find to a Note - those options are grayed out (also can't change the log date or cache rating; can only change the coordinates for the find, log description, and photos). https://play.terracaching.com/Cache/LCHB

No idea why this one cache acts this way, because the other logs I posted this evening can be deleted or changed https://play.terracaching.com/Cache/LC92  https://play.terracaching.com/Cache/LC3CHF  https://play.terracaching.com/Cache/LCBK

10 Points  1   
  • cash108  Durango 1/6/2020 

Thank all of you for being such great sports and I laughed so hard with skramble's pun...  The bug has been squashed...and hindsight....

Timing is everything and in Bon Echo's case it was the difference of to edit or not to edit log status.  Have no fear if you or a cache owner has a log that needs to be changed from a note to a find or just deleted, all you need to do is send an email to [email protected] and we will fix it for you.  Bon Echo's test log is gone forever.

FYI, to eliminate people from gaming the points, we removed the ability for people to change the status of their cache logs after a period of time.  In the past we would have cache owners delete logs to get more points, in other cases we would have finders change the rating of a cache based on their feelings about the cache owner vs the actual cache. Remember when rating a cache, your first impression is the best impression. So we added a time factor for full edits of the logs, Bon Echo's logs fall between those dates, thus one he can only edit the descriptions, photos but not the status or rating, on the others which are on the other side of those dates Bon Echo had full edit... This does make me ponder what amount of time is necessary, the initial system was only three days, but lots of push back from the community resulted in us pushing the date back. 

The red box generally appears if something is wrong with a field, but in this case I think it's possible that Bon Echo's logging issues were/are related to the 2020 bug. We are researching it as a separate but perhaps connected issue and will fix it. 

Thank you all again for the detective work and helping us to fix the initial problem.  Thank you all for being great members of our community.  

20 Points  2   

SIMILAR ISSUE REPORTS