TerraTalk

New

Posted on: 5/2/2021

by: Tungmar

Import TerraCaches into c:geo [solved]

Hello 👋

Is there a easy way to import TerraCaches into c:geo?

c:geo does not recognize the GPX files from this site as GeoCaches but maybe the files can be transformed easily some how.

Thank you for any advice!

Comments [7]

• Z_Statman  Cocoa 5/2/2021 

I go through GSAK to do this and then export the gpx, from c:geo import into the Stored folder

HTHs

10 Points  1   
  • Tungmar  Location Unknown 5/2/2021 

Thank you Z_Statman for your input! I don't have GSAK (or a system where it easily runs on) but yes, that might be a good option.

0 Points  0   
  • tripman1  Lone Tree 5/2/2021 

GPSbabel is another program to try. Sometimes just opening a gpx and saving as a gpx in GPSbabel will do the trick. Then load it on your phone SD card and import to c:geo from there.

10 Points  1   
  • Tungmar  Location Unknown 5/14/2021 

Thank you tripman1! I did play around with gpsbabel. The best I could figure was

gpsbabel -i gpx -f Cache\ -\ TCCVL.gpx -o gpx -F TCCVL.gpx

It is actually possible to import that, but no description is imported. (The logs are sadly not in the gpx any way).

Do you use different options?

0 Points  0   
  • TermiteHunter  Charlotte 5/14/2021 

I don't have lot of TC's near me so importing individual caches is not much of a hassle. While viewing the cache page on the phone download the GPX file and place it in the Stored section of C:Geo.  All the info will now be viewable in C:Geo by opening the Stored icon on the main page. It can be mapped, entire discription. logs photos, eveything. They are just in a different area of the app. 

I asssume that you could download them on  a computer and tranfer them to the phone as well. I find having thme in a seperate section beneficial, They don't get lost in the shuffle of other GC and OCNA caches on the map or list. and I don't have to turn off logging in to these other sites to display them alone on the map.

30 Points  3   
  • Tungmar  Location Unknown 5/15/2021 

Nice! Thanks TermiteHunter for pointing out to me that it just should work!

It actually does! Just not with locationless caches and that was what I tried and wrongly concluded that it won't work for all caches.

Editing the file and set other coordinates makes also the import of locationless caches possible. A change of wpt lat="0" lon="0" to wpt lat="1" lon="1" is sufficient.

Thanks again to every one for you help!

0 Points  0   
  • JASTA 11  Bridgewater 5/7/2022 

That's spot on TermiteHunter, thanks! We loaded all the local ones we haven't done yet into a stored file. Sometimes we find ourselves somewhere and check c:geo to see what might be in the area.

A good tool and not difficult to set up.

0 Points  0   

SIMILAR TERRATALKS