TerraTalk

New

Posted on: 8/4/2017

by: WindpumpBoy

August Challenge 2017

With August being the height of the Summer in the Northern Hemisphere. It's a time to be out with family and friends. If caches come into the equation fine tell us which one you most enjoyed finding (on any caching site). If not just let us know what you most enjoyed doing during August. An optional "little bit extra" is to design a caching stamp- aim for around 50mm x 50mm in size give or take a bit. I will pick one at random- okay I will actually pick one I think I can make- and produce a copy for the 'lucky' terracacher. If you can make designs black on white as per the image it will make my life a bit easier.

Attachments

VindpumpBoy.png
Makeyourmark.png

Comments [4]

• JASTA 11  Bridgewater 8/7/2017 

For the metrically challenged: 50mm is about two inches.

(Why are the colonies still using imperial units when the rest of the empire has gone metric?) 

(Well, except for Burma. Which isn't even 'Burma' any longer.) foot-in-mouth

10 Points  1   
  • UNK1  Location Unknown 8/10/2017 

"(Why are the colonies still using imperial units when the rest of the empire has gone metric?) "

The "Colonies" believe that if it is not broken Don'T fix it!

Jack

0 Points  0   
  • Hatamalex  Cheltenham 9/1/2017 

One day late as I've been travelling.  August was a great caching month for me - I went to Canada for the first time ever and found some amazing caches including some Terracaches (TC47Y - Vancouver's Gastown Steam Clock was a good one) and some Groundspeak caches, including GCQ818 - Whistler Peak, which at 2,160m was the most spectacular.

My stamp design is attached.

Attachments

Stamp.JPG
    Whistler Peak.JPG
    Steam clock.jpg
    10 Points  1   
  • WindpumpBoy  Caister-on-Sea 9/7/2017 

I reckon I can probably make up a reasonable version of Hatamalex's stamp, so will certainly give it a go. August was good month for me as on the way to visiting my parents we managed to stop off on the way and do a bit of caching with Gackt resulting in logging the Perfect Geocaching Day Cyber Cache CC8F45.

A copy of my log follows:

Just a perfect (geocaching) day
    Problems all left alone
    Weekenders on our own
    It's such fun

Lou (may he rest in peace) had it just right. It was a perfect geocaching day for us on Sunday 6th August 2017. It was actually a day that I didn't think was really likely to occur with a dearth of alternative caches hidden in our neck of the woods. However having solved a couple of my TC sponsor Gackt's opencache.uk puzzle caches hidden near his RAF Chedworth Terracache I contacted him about the current status of the hides as I have, frankly, been a bit unlucky on actually finding TC's when out and about, and we were planning a trip through the Cotswolds en route to a visit to my parents. Gackt (good chap that he is) offered to go out and check the caches - which he duly did. He also pointed out that SoccerFanatics had hidden a cache on gpsgames nearby during his visit last year. 

It was at that stage that thoughts of the Perfect Geocaching Day started to enter my mind. GPS games traditional, opencache virtual and puzzle, TC multi/letterbox- that's 3 out of the 5. Bound to be a GC.com cache around (they're 2 a penny). I just need to muster up a fifth. My thought immediately turned to the Southern Hemisphere and our Australian cousins on geocaching.com.au. They should be good for a locationless cache or two if required. I duly mentioned my thoughts to Gackt who offered to meet up with us on the day and bring his locationless bottle of TerracachingCider to add a bit of fizz (and an extra cache type) to the party. Of course we agreed and on the big day, after logging a GC.com multi a few yards from where we were staying overnight, we (Mrs WPB and I) drove to a small layby in the Cotswolds to meet up with Gackt for the Chedworth part of the adventure. Little did we know that Gackt (to ensure the success of the day had pimped a couple of extra caches into the schedule. First our meet up was actually an event on geocaching.com.au (where were you rubymoon05? It's only a 9000 mile trip!). Second, he had snuck the coordinates for a bonus cache hosted on Cotswold Caching into one of the other caches.

The net result was that by the end of the day including this Cyber Cache we had logged 10 caches of 8 different types (maybe 9 if you want to regard RAF Chedworth as a letterbox) on 6 different listing sites. The list of the other caches in order of finding is:

GC468RA Church Micro 3358…Abbey Hill groundspeak multicache *

GA10654 The perfect Geocaching day event   geocaching.com.au event cache *

TC43IY Bottle of vintage TC (Terracaching Cider)   terracaching moving cache *

GA1825 Cachemobile geocaching.com.au locationless cache.

TC2VGP RAF Chedworth Terracaching.com offset/letterbox cache

GE0324 RAF geocaching.gpsgames.org Traditional cache *

OK034F tenses.buildings.bonus opencache.uk puzzle cache *

RAF Chedworth Cotswold Caching multicache

OK0348 tenses.buildings.eyeful opencache.uk virtual cache

I have marked the caches used to qualify for this cache with a *

Many thanks for listing this interesting and challenging cache and many thanks to gackt for helping me achieve it. 
    laughing

0 Points  0   

SIMILAR TERRATALKS