TerraTalk

New

Posted on: 10/5/2017

by: WindpumpBoy

October 2017 Challenge

This month to celebrate the anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar (21st October 1805) the requirement is to perform a 'Nelson' of caches. One Traditional, One Locationless and One Cyber or '111' to give the magic number related to Nelson. They may be finds or hides or a combination. 

The little bit extra is to post a picture of an interesting natural geographic feature near your home location stating in your post why it is interesting- not that I'm trying to take the wind out of the sails of another sites 'Earthcache Day' 

Comments [3]

• Hatamalex  Cheltenham 10/28/2017 

October has flown by and with clock change tonight in the UK, it feels like winter is coming up fast.

Did a few locationless caches earlier in the month including  LC5MB4 "A Monumental View"and one of the few traditionals in my area TC4W8P "Love a Cotswold Croc" plus a long overdue cyber CC6IPO "Sundial Roundabout Twofer".

My interesting geographic feature is the Avon Gorge in Bristol which is my"real" home.  The gorge was cut through the limestone by the River Avon and is unusually only just over a mile from the city centre so is a familiar site to all Bristolians such as myself. It's spanned by the famous Clifton Suspension Bridge which is around 300 ft high.  There are a number of tunnels cut down into the rock including one below the Clifton Observatory, a camera obscura housed in an old windmill which leads to the Giant's Cave. The Clifton Rocks Railway was a funicular railway which used to run through a tunnel inside the cliffs but closed in 1934.

My picture is from the Leigh Woods side of the bridge.  

Attachments

Avon Gorge.png
    0 Points  0   
  • Gackt  Cirencester 10/30/2017 

Echo Hatamalex's feelings. The whole year seems to be going by very quickly for me. I have failed on the last few months, though still hope to join in with a few retrospective entries.

This month challenge has been a lot easier to achieve. I have found a couple of Cybers, including CC5AZ0 "Cyder Cyber". I have hidden a couple of Traditionals including TC2IJZ "Slither", and found quite a number of Locationless caches including LC7SS "Have you hugged your body artist lately?" which hadn't been found for over 5 years.

Whilst I have a few potentially interesting local natural geographic locations that I want to visit soon, most of my spare time this past month has been spent at Leckahampton area whilst hiding Slither and more recently a GC.com cache in the near vicinity, so most of my personal photos have been of views from the hill, of rocks under the ground (which are really of interest to mostly just me) and of Devil's Chimney.. so posting a pic of that as it really is quite impressive. I shouldn't need to write much about it, other than it is truly unknown if it is natural, or if quarrymen from years past mined around it. A little more about it can be found in my log HERE.

Attachments

DevilsChimney.jpg
    0 Points  0   
  • WindpumpBoy  Caister-on-Sea 11/6/2017 

I actually managed to achieve the challenge requirements this month with finds on:

CC7TX WCG III - Ruby's Reward having after about 2 and a half years attaining a ruby badge on WCG for Mapping Cancer Markers. WCG IV is next but may take a while, unless I strike a lucky break wink

LC82L8 Massive Mushrooms a cache by Jasta11 that I have had a lot of fun logging.

TCEHS N52 W001 Confluence cache by Soccerfanatics. I was always going to find myself chasing zeros in the middle of a field one day and passing by on the way back from visiting my parents in Dorset felt like a good time to do it.

For my interesting geographic feature I am going to choose the North Sea viewed from Caister Beach. I have lived within 3 or 4 miles of the sea for virtually all my life and it is easy to take it for granted as I can look at it almost anytime I want. I often take a lunchtime walk from work to look at the waves. It is really only when we are visited by relatives who live far from the sea that it is brought home how special it is. Invariably they want to go to the beach, have a paddle, look for seashells etc, and I realise how lucky I am to have it on tap, so to speak.

Attachments

20171031_135226 (1024x768).jpg
    0 Points  0   

SIMILAR TERRATALKS