TerraTalk

New

Posted on: 5/22/2017

by: ag08

Sponsorship Updates

Hi Everyone! 

We have been working hard on some site updates for the past several weeks (and discussing them for much longer) that should be released this week. Many of these are fixes of small things, but we will be releasing an update to the Sponsorship System that I wanted to share with everyone.

I know that this topic was discussed here on the Community Page awhile back, and we have put a lot of thought into how to proceed. We want to make the sponsorship process friendlier to new users and give them the opportunity to experience the site immediately, rather than having to wait for sponsorship. We are starting off small on this change, but are looking into ways that we can expand it to continue to improve the sponsorship system.

For 30 days after joining, new members will be able to find caches, access the leaderboards, and view their stats. The only areas that will be out of reach will be hiding caches and offering sponsorship to other members, as these areas are completely dependent on the sponsorship system. Each time new members sign on, they will be encouraged to accept their sponsorship offers.

We feel that the sponsorship system has merit- it allows members to interact directly with each other to approve caches, rather than with one centralized group of people. It also is intended to allow members to meet and interact with each other- both locally and around the world. We want to keep the system in place, but we want to make sure that it is understood as it is intended to be- not a hindrance to joining, but as a benefit. 

We want to work during this 30 day period to educate new members on what the sponsorship system and TerraCaching is all about. If you guys have any suggestions about what we should let new members know about, let me know! 

We really appreciate everyone's support. The site is always a work in progress- we truly want to keep improving it. Your support is critical to us being able to make all of the updates. 

I will let you all know when the updates are released. 

Thanks!

Christa

Comments [7]

• Z_Statman  Cocoa 5/23/2017 

Sounds interesting and tend to favor the idea: How will their finds affect the count & point system - Delayed until sponsored or immediate? Would think "delayed?"

One criteria, like it or not, for my sponsorship is the potential member's profile. If there is nothing but a name then my initial reaction is to pass and send a PM asking for more to be added. It has been a long time since I registered so not sure what fields are required but can at least location and interests be?

Take care to all

W

0 Points  0   
  • Bon Echo  Hamilton 5/24/2017 

Applause here. I think this is a good move.

0 Points  0   
  • JASTA 11  Bridgewater 5/25/2017 

"If there is nothing but a name then my initial reaction is to pass..."

I'm with Z_ on this. A location should be a required field to register.

10 Points  1   
  • dexter  Plymouth 5/25/2017 

Sponsorship is a great way to have someone to "show you the ropes" if you are a newbie to caching and/or to Terracaching but for a sponsor to connect with someone compatible you want at least a brief bio (location and interests) .  A trail period with no sponsor makes "trying it out" easier though this is just when you are likely to need some help navigating the website the most...

dexter

0 Points  0   
  • UNK1  Location Unknown 5/25/2017 

In TC1 people got sponsored very quickly, because when someone signed up Everybody was notified and could offer sponsorship right away. No waiting, someone a thousand miles away could offer on the first day. Now someone wanting to join TC may have to wait weeks or longer to get an offer of sponsorship, during which time they lose interest due to a lack of offers.

Allowing anyone to offer sponsorship, allows those that are quite active in TC to build their downline and and share their expertise with others. The question is "How many have joined TC and then left due to lack of sponsorship. If you lose a customer, for whatever reason, it is unlikely they will return. Not good business. If they get sponsorship right away (by someone interested) then they get full access to the sight.

Jack -UNK1

0 Points  0   
  • Z_Statman  Cocoa 5/26/2017 

Good point UNK1!

0 Points  0   
  • WindpumpBoy  Caister-on-Sea 5/27/2017 

I like the new idea as it should help grab new cachers early while their interest in this "new site they've just heard of" is fresh. 

It may also be worth considering what is available under the basic search facilities. I pay for the premium search which is great (and well worth the bucks!). But during the couple of days earlier this year that my subscription had lapsed, I got the impression that the basic search facility now was actually quite a bit worse than the search under the previous system. Or it may just be that the premium options have pampered me so much that I don't like to be without them.....

0 Points  0   

SIMILAR TERRATALKS